Karla lives with her family in small-town Wisconsin, where she is currently working on a new middle grade novel. She is also an active member of the Wisconsin chapter of the Society for Children's Books Writers and Illustrators. Karla frequently visits schools, bookstores, and libraries to talk about her work.
In addition to writing children's books, Karla is a freelance writer for Catholic publications and organizations. She is a regular contributor to Living Faith and Living Faith Kids. She also helped create a new religious education series by William H. Sadlier, Inc.
Karla is represented by Emily Mitchell of Wernick & Pratt Literary Agency.
• interview for Mom Writes podcast with daughter Amelia on being the inspiration for Meena's story (with Abby Matthews)
• interview for Cynsations blog of NYT best-selling author Cynthia Leitich Smith, on being a debut author
• We Need Diverse Books blog post about books that feature characters with disabilities or medical conditions
• video review by Chloe K, kid bookstagrammer
• interview with author Valerie Biel
• a child's review for the Center for Disabilities and Development newsletter, University of Iowa Children's Hospital
recent & upcoming activities
Wisconsin State Reading Association Conference
February 7, 2020
School Visit to St. John's Elementary
February 14, 2020
New Book Release
Never Fear, Meena's Here!
March 24, 2020
Visit to Simon & Schuster - cancelled
New York, NY
March 24, 2020
School Visit to St. Joseph Academy - cancelled
April 3, 2020
Keynote Address - Family Fun Night - cancelled
East Troy, WI
April 23, 2020
Barnes & Noble Kids' Book Hangout
May 16, 2020
Boswell Books Debut Author Panel
June 7, 2020