Karla lives with her family in small-town Wisconsin, where she is currently working on a new middle grade novel. She frequently visits schools to talk about her work. Karla is also an active member of the Wisconsin chapter of the Society for Children's Books Writers and Illustrators.
In addition to writing children's books, Karla is a freelance writer for Catholic publications and organizations. She is a regular contributor to Living Faith and Living Faith Kids. She also helped create a new religious education series by William H. Sadlier, Inc.
Karla is represented by Emily Mitchell of Wernick & Pratt Literary Agency.
• interview for Mom Writes podcast with daughter Amelia on being the inspiration for Meena's story (with Abby Matthews)
• interview for Cynsations blog of NYT best-selling author Cynthia Leitich Smith, on being a debut author
• We Need Diverse Books blog post about books that feature characters with disabilities or medical conditions
• video review by Chloe K, kid bookstagrammer
• interview with author Valerie Biel
• a child's review for the Center for Disabilities and Development newsletter, University of Iowa Children's Hospital
recent & upcoming activities
Author Visit at Family Open House
St. Joan of Arc School, Nashotah, WI
January 26, 2020
Meena Meets Her Match
January 28, 2020
Wisconsin State Reading Association Conference
February 7, 2020
School Visit to St. John's Elementary
February 14, 2020
New Book Release
Never Fear, Meena's Here!
March 24, 2020
School Visit to St. Joseph Academy
April 3, 2020
Keynote Address - Family Fun Night
East Troy, WI
April 23, 2020
Barnes & Noble Kids' Book Hangout
May 16, 2020